Thursday, January 22, 2009

How Did CrossFit And I Meet?


Let me start off with saying I'm NOT an athlete.

I have never been part of any kind of team, whether it be a soccer team or a baseball team - hell, even a chess team - but all I know is the day I discovered CrossFit, my entire lifestyle changed.

In December 2007, I made my way to my local gym to embark on yet another 30 monotonous minute workout on the elliptical. After completing this portion of my workout, I began to scan around the gym to look for my weight training buddy Mathew, but could not seem to find him anywhere. Peering down a hallway on one end of the gym, I saw a light on and thought he could be lurking back there. Sure enough, there he was in the room with a bunch of dudes: Eric Vandermeersch, owner of CrossFit Mississauga, being one of them.

The exact words translated between Eric and me:
Melissa: "What the %*#$ is this?"
Eric: "This is CrossFit."
Melissa: "Well what the %*#$ is that?"
Eric: "Do a workout and you'll see."
Melissa: "Well, I already worked out."
Eric: "No you didn't, that was just a warm-up."

I had no idea what was about to happen, no idea that I was about to endure the most pain in a workout - good pain, of course - that I have ever experienced. I had been tested to my absolute limit, and all the training I had been doing for the past seven months had all of a sudden felt inferior to the 10 minutes I had just endured.

In April of 2007, I had reached a critical point in my health where I knew that the only way to feel good about myself again was to start exercising and get back to the 'old' Melissa. In May of 2007 I had weighed in at 167 pounds - the most I had ever weighed - and I had fallen into a deep depression. Friends and family were beginning to notice a change in me, wondering where the 'old' Melissa went, and that's when I realized it was time to change and time to get out of the rut I was in.

That very month of May I gave myself a good old slap in the face and told myself to smarten up and get my %*#$ together, and that's exactly what I did. I began running everyday, and had managed to work my endurance up to running as much as 10k three times a week, including 5k runs in between; I changed my diet completely by cutting out alcohol, which was a huge culprit in my weight gain, as well as all starches and grains. The pounds were coming off and I was feeling great about myself again.

All summer I had focused a lot on cardio, with minimal use of free weights; and though I was a lot smaller, weighing in at 130 pounds, I was beginning to feel like my routine was too repetitive. I feared that I would lose interest and consequently gain all the weight back. That's when I discovered CrossFit.

Though my first workout, Cindy, only lasted half the amount of time it is required to, I was gassed beyond belief; but even though I felt like absolute crap after the workout, it made me feel like I accomplished something big. It was enough to get me back in the very next day to take on another workout and see what new limits I could push myself to next, and to this day that aspect of it hasn’t changed.

From my own experience, what has changed the most personally is my confidence. As I previously mentioned, I had gone into a deep depression, but CrossFit helped me regain my confidence and helped me push myself to get back the 'old' Melissa; and most of all, it helped me harden the %*#$ up!


I know that confidence is the foundation of one’s personality, and I hope to help those out there who have lost their confidence regain it in exponential form. I know what it’s like to lose it, and I know that CrossFit will help others just as much as it helped me, if not more.


I’d like to thank the two people who have been there as trainers and as friends for me from the very beginning: Eric and Mark Vandermeersch. They are the most compassionate people I have ever met, and are examples of true outstanding dedication. You guys ROCK. Thank you for continuing to not give up on any of us and for continuing to be amazing role models to our community.

14 comments:

  1. And thus began the life of a Crossfitter LOL sounds like so many stories i have heard about Crossfit. Looking good girl keep it up!

    Judd

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mel My dear, just stumbled upon your blogg while taking a break from work....wow, girl that was beautifully said. I am now inspired to perhaps write my own experiences (which were kinda the same emotionally for sure) up until the day I did my first CF workout!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Judd! Partial thanks to you and your dieting tips!

    Bill, I've got some cool ideas for my upcoming posts. I'd like to write one on logsitall.com!

    Alana my love, do it! We can support each other! It's a great way to see how CrossFit really affects other aspects of your life - makes you realize :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love hearing people's "how I discovered CrossFit" stories. Mine is similar. Can't wait to read the regular posts! Some news on my end: I'm starting my very own affiliate in Winnipeg! soooo excited...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really!!! That is SO exciting Tania! Congratulations :)

    Please keep me posted!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice post Melissa. I was introduced to CrossFit in almost the same way, including a meeting with Cindy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's the staple CrossFit intro workout, I'd say. Definitely surprises me every time I do it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Post, dammit! POST. I need the words. Your words. More please.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Melissa, Love the blog! Keep posting. Wishing you nothing but the best.

    Kermit

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice! Good start to your new blog. Can't wait to read more.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Melissa,

    Great blog!

    I met you this past summer at Crossfit Milwaukee. I am a Milwaukee firefighter and a skydiving instructor. If you're ever back in town I would love to throw you out of a perfectly good airplane :D. Check out www.diveout.com. I found out about your blog through the Crossfit Milwauee site. I started Crossfit in August of '08. May of '09 I am taking my Crossfit L1 Cert. and in June I am taking the Oly Lift Cert.

    Well I just wanted to say hi.

    Best Wishes, Howy H

    ReplyDelete
  12. Howy! Well of course I remember you. I remember those awesome pullups you were rocking out. How are they coming along now?!

    And I would LOVE for you to throw me out of a perfectly good airplane! It has been a dream of mine since you first informed me that you were a skydiving instructor!

    Thank you so much for taking the time to look at my blog, I really appreciate it. I will be returning to Milwaukee as SOON as possible - Hopefully by spring time. When does skydiving season commence?

    And Congratulations on your upcoming certs, I couldn't be anymore excited for you! You are going to have an absolute blast; and most of all, you are going to learn from the best! Shoot me an e-mail from time to time and give me updates on how you're doing. I'd love to hear how your certs went!

    Take care :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Randomly stumbled across this blog looking for something else but got interested and read quite a bit. 11 years ago was the last post, that is quite a long time. Could be a chance you don't even have access to your blog anymore. But I at least want to say hi and hope your doing well.

    This is Josh, from Boston.

    ReplyDelete