Friday, January 30, 2009

Learning To Come To Terms With The Term "Non-Rx'd"


First off, I would like to announce that I did my first Elizabeth as rx'd yesterday. VERY proud of myself! Although it took 34:41, It was a monumental achievement. Ring dips and push-ups have always been a huge weakness for me, and I have made an honest attempt at ameliorating these weaknesses by using resistance bands and working on push-ups every day, making sure I get full ROM. Those greasy bastards at the globo gym were teaching me wrong that whole time, using dip machines and what-not! As Neil and JJ would say, "Sons 'o bitches..." Nonetheless, I managed to work on my weaknesses - though it took some time - and can only improve from here on in. This brings me to the next blog topic:

"There's no point in me doing this WOD if I can't do it as rx'd!"


In a perfect world, all of us crazy CrossFitters would be natural born firebreathers, able to tackle any WOD in the most extreme conditions; a genetic code of some sort. But alas, our world is far from perfect, and thus we need to haul ass and build coriaceous callouses on our own. Got to start somewhere, right?


Well, some have a hard time coming to terms with not being able to do the firebreather WODs right off the bat, "as rx'd." Speaking from my own experiences, when I began training back in December 2007 I wanted to learn everything and perform well at everything all at once so that I could do all of the workouts as rx'd; but that ended up causing a lot of frustration which resulted in me feeling discouraged (my own fault). I would come into the gym with the attitude of, "Well, I don't want to do Elizabeth because I can't do the cleans or the ring dips as rx'd. I would rather do Annie because I can get a good time on that kind of WOD." This attitude is WRONG to have in the CrossFit world. There was no way I could work up to getting those cleans and ring dips if I continued only doing WODs that I was "good" at.

Coach Glassman says that we should always be prepared for the unknown and the unknowable, and he's absolutely right. I was, in essence, preparing for the known and the knowable. What is the sense in that?


Scaling and modifying workouts is the best way to work up to doing any WOD as rx'd. It could take a while for you to get there, but you will sure as hell be on your way a lot quicker if you do. For example, if you haven't got a muscle-up, a good way to work towards getting one is by doing 2 chest-to-bar pull-ups and 2 ring dips for every one muscle-up. Any time a muscle-up WOD comes up on the main site this is exactly what I do; and on other days I try to work on my false grip, kip, transition, and dip. I've gotten pretty close to getting one already, and now all I need to do is zero in more on the technique.

So remember: you're not a pussy if you can't do it as rx'd; you're a bonified firebreather if you work up to it.

Learn it, earn it, add the weight and burn it!

11 comments:

  1. good advice! Gotta crawl before you can walk!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen. Frustrating as it was it took me 2 and 1/2 years to do Isabel as rx'd. I NEVER thought it would happen. It was all the sweeter when I did knock it out, regardless of the time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really inspiring, I love it. Thakes a great deal of perseverance and mental toughness to push your limits like this !

    I have no excuse for JT now :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's great Pat! That's exactly what I was trying to get at. Even though it may take forever and a day, it's going to happen regardless - as long as you push for it.

    Richie my boy, you better work on JT! You're right, no excuses :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been subscribed to your blog for a week or so now & each post has been right on target for me where I am now. Thanks for sharing your experiences... it's nice to hear it's not just me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. jgrantmarshall: thanks for following my blog. I'm so glad you can relate to what I'm writing about! Makes me so happy! :)

    I hope that writing my experiences will help people understand CrossFit more and see what it's all about.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it just makes it all that sweeter when you can do a WOD Rx'd you can look back on your progress and see how hard you've worked to get there.
    I still remember my first fran w/ a 45# bar w/ jumping pull ups... at my cert I did my first fran Rx'd (4th time doing fran) and boy did that feel good

    ReplyDelete
  8. took me 6 months before I got my first WOD as RX'd. I still don't do all of them as rx'd. Anything with more than 1 MU is out!

    love your blog. THX

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tracey: it's crazy how much we realize how we've improved when we look back on our progress, like you said. You think, "Wow, I am so much stronger now." And that realization only makes you want to improve more because you know you can.

    FitZoner: keep working on those MUs! And keep me posted on how you're doing; I'd love to know your progress!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is something I've been kicking myself in the ass over lately. I've lied to myself sometimes, telling myself that I did a WOD as rx'ed, but thinking about it later, it wasn't really.

    Latest example was Elizabeth. I managed to get decent power cleans a long time ago, but my squat cleans aren't that great. For elizabeth, I would typically do power cleans and count that as rx'ed. When it came up over the weekend, I kicked myself in the ass and forced myself to do full squat cleans, even though it added about 5min.

    Nice post, keep on writing Melissa!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You know something, I was the same way, and it's a totally different workout when you do it as rx'd...

    Specifically, I was "cheating" myself with push-ups. I would never get the proper ROM on them, yet I'd claim it was as rx'd. Now, when I do a WOD like Cindy, I make sure that I do chest-to-ground on every push-up; and though my rounds have decreased, my ROM has improved and I have become stronger!

    Keep up the great work David, you're only going to get stronger!

    ReplyDelete